Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Waaaaahhh!

After 10 long, long weeks of being used as a my sons personal dummy to go to sleep everyday I decided something needed to change. I have spend many a day feeding, feeding, feeding until he finally nods of only to put him in his bassinette and he wakes the minute his head his the pillow or if im lucky he might go one sleep cycle of 20-40 mins.
Dont get me wrong I so love Breast feeding. It is so beautiful to watch him suck away and look up at me with his smiley eyes. It can get a bit much when you are feeding 20+ times a day though. I know Mums aren't supposed to say this put I just needed some GOD DAMN PERSONAL SPACE!!!! The hardest thing about the pattern we are in is that no one can help me. They can sympathise but there isn't anyone else who has the 'tools' to get him off to sleep.

This is the little plan I wrote.
Aim - To get H (my son) to go to sleep without the being breastfed preferably in his bed.
Why - Because I just might go insane
How - Start a Feed-Play-Sleep Routine. Roughly 3 hourly. Try for bedtime by 7-8pm
Use the Pick Up / Put Down method along with shhhhhhing

Yesterday we started and it wasn't pretty. There was alot of tears from both myself and my boy :-(. The worst was last night where it took 1.5 hours before he was alseep! But at the other end of the scale this afternoon he was put into the bassinette and went to sleep on his own in under a minute - Whoo hooo!!! Still a long way to go though because he protested for another hour tonight and so many pick ups that I lost count before finally settling into sleep.










6 comments:

  1. Lucky he is so damned gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes he is totally adorable even if I do say so myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. K it will get easier, if you can find something that works for both of you.... Hopefully before he is 1 LOL

    And Katy is right these non sleeping, contant need for touching and cuddling children as just so darn lucky they are cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big hugs to you Kt, I still cuddle Harper to sleep during the day, I'm not game enough to try putting her down awake LOL

    He's so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope it's getting easier and he's settling himself now.

    btw you've been tagged http://katskapers.blogspot.com/2009/03/seven-by-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm desperate for an update, so I've tagged you too! http://beekaty.blogspot.com/2009/03/seven.html

    ReplyDelete